Skip to main content

Baby Rugby | Easy DIY Activity

Happy Rugby World Cup Semi-Finals Weekend! To celebrate we decided that we would play some baby rugby this weekend! Baby is loving rolling balls and enjoys 'rugby tackles' (aka nudges) from dad, so I thought this activity would be fun for the whole family. As an American, I'm fairly new to rugby so if you are like me and are fairly new to rugby here's a fun video by How to Dad to get you more familiar with the game! Read on to see how to create baby rugby.

baby-rugby-diy-activity

1. Gather supplies

For this activity, you'll need 
  • Paper Towel and/or Toilet Paper Rolls (rescued from recycling)
  • Paint & Paint Brush (optional)
  • Tape or Glue
  • Small Rugby Ball (or any other type of ball really)
  • All Blacks Rubber Duck (Just for fun! How cute is it??)
baby-rugby-diy-activity-supplies

2. Build your rugby post

I built my rugby post with two old paper towel rolls. I opted to paint all the old rolls white first, but that is completely optional as your little one won't mind what color the posts are! 


I then added a toilet paper roll to the base of each of the paper towel rolls using tape to make the posts a little taller. I then taped one toilet paper roll in the middle of the two paper towel rolls to complete the post. 


Initially, I thought this would stand in the grass, but due to a windy day, I needed a cardboard base as well. So I added that to the bottom of the posts.

3. Play rugby!

Set the posts up in the backyard and play rugby! If your little's anything like mine they will probably just enjoy pushing the ball around and playing with you, but it's still lots of fun!


Side plug - Go All Blacks! (New Zealand Rugby Team)

Let me know if you give this a try in the comments below. Would love to hear how it goes or if you have any ideas for improvements! And as always thanks for reading! 


Comments