Skip to main content

Baby's Gone Fishing DIY Activity

baby's gone fishing

Are you looking for a fun rainy day activity? We had a lot of fun 'going fishing' on a rainy day about a week ago! It's quick and easy to make and there are a couple different variations you can do depending on your child. 

1. Gather supplies.
For this activity, you'll need

  • 1 paper towel roll
  • 1 piece of yarn or string
  • 1 baby link or magnet
  • Tape
  • Scissors
baby fishing diy supplies

2. Attach the string to the paper towel roll.
I did this by cutting a small hole into the paper towel roll, pushing the end of my piece of yarn through, knotting it and then taping it down. Just taping it down is probably sufficient, but you can send the yarn through and then knot it if you want a bit of extra security.

3. Attach the baby link or magnet to the other end of the string.
I initially used a baby link as my 'hook' and attached a second baby link to toys for my little one to catch. However, one link will generally do the trick just fine. You can also use magnets and fish for magnets instead.


4. Go Fishin'!
Have lots of fun catching toys out of a toy box or magnets off the floor! :)

baby finishing

When we first tried this activity I used a baby link as the 'hook', but it was a little too advanced for my ten-month-old, so I switched it up tried a magnet. He then went 'fishing' for large magnets that I placed on the floor which he enjoyed a lot more! If you decide to go the magnet route make sure the magnets are large enough that baby can't swallow them.

Let me know if you give this activity a try or if you've done anything similar with your children. I'd love to hear how it went in the comments below!

Comments